EUMETCast is EUMETSAT’s primary dissemination mechanism for the near real-time delivery of satellite data and products.
Important Update: EUMETCast-Europe DVB-S2 Basic Service operational: 14 August 2014.
What is EUMETCast?
EUMETCast is a multi-service dissemination system based on standard Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) technology. It uses commercial telecommunication geostationary satellites to multi-cast files (data and products) to a wide user community. EUMETCast also delivers a range of third-party products.
EUMETCast is the EUMETSAT contribution to GEONETCast.
- Secure delivery allows multicasts to be targeted to a specific user or group of users, thus supporting any required data policy.
- Handling of any file format, allowing the dissemination of a broad range of products.
- Use of DVB turnarounds allows the easy extension of geographical coverage.
- One-stop-shop delivery mechanism allows users to receive many data streams via one reception station.
- An installed user base of more than 4,000 user stations.
- Use of off-the-shelf, commercially available, DVB reception equipment.
- Highly scalable system architecture.
- Three EUMETCast services are available covering Europe, Africa and South America.
Services available at EUMETSAT
- Space-based observations from the Meteosat, Metop, Jason-2, GOES, MT-SAT and FY2 satellites. At their most frequent, these data are delivered to users within five minutes of processing.
- MODIS level 1 and 2 products covering selective geographical regions.
- Numerical weather forecasts.
- In-situ observational data.
- Land application products covering Europe, Africa and South America.
- Global and regional marine meteorological and ocean surface products.
- Atmospheric chemistry products.
In addition, a wide range of third-party meteorological and environmental products are available on EUMETCast.
The range includes:
- Level 1 Satellite data (e.g. GOES-E & GOES-W, MTSAT, FY2D, aqua/terra MODIS)
- Meteorological products
- In-situ observational data
- Numerical weather forecasts
- Land application products covering Europe, Africa and South America
- Global and regional marine meteorological and ocean surface products
A comprehensive list of all products available on EUMETCast can be found on the Product Navigator.
If there are additional products you would like to see on EUMETCast, provide your suggestion via the GEONETCast Feedback Form (PDF, 73.4 KB).
EUMETCast and Global Monitoring
EUMETCast is now available for use by Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS); the European Global Monitoring for Environmental and Security (GMES) initiatives, and other environmental data providers.
EUMETCast is also a EUMETSAT contribution to the Integrated Global Data Dissemination Service (IGDDS), a component of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) information service.
Access to EUMETCast data
Users can gain access to, and manage, subscriptions to EUMETSAT data, products and services and to apply for the EUMETCast Key Unit after registering on the Earth Observation Portal (EOP).
For a detailed catalogue of all our products, please use the Product Navigator.
PLEASE NOTE: EUMETSAT is providing User Service Helpdesk support for EUMETCast in general and specifically for the integration of the Tellicast and EKU software. The additional components contained in the EUMETCast package, such as DVB drivers, DVB software and tools, are provided on best effort to facilitate the installation. We may not be able to assist you with system-specific problems if you are not using recommended devices and because of the large variety of hardware, operating systems and application software available. If a manufacturer has installed your reception station, please seek assistance from them first if your equipment fails.