EUMETSAT Data licensing
Under the EUMETSAT Data Policy, data, products and services derived from our satellites are subject to licensing terms and conditions.
10, November 2020
What is the EUMETSAT Data Policy?
The Data Policy is based on the EUMETSAT Principles on Data Policy, as laid down in Council Resolution EUM/C/98/Res.IV and amended in Council Resolutions EUM/C/57/05/Res. III and EUM/C/72/11/Res. VIII.
These principles provide the legal framework for the use of the data, products and services and protect against unauthorised use.
The EUMETSAT Data Policy distinguishes between 'Essential' and 'non-Essential' EUMETSAT Data.
'Essential' EUMETSAT Data are freely available to all users, world-wide, on a free and unrestricted basis.
'Non-Essential' EUMETSAT Data (also referred to as 'Licensed Data') are subject to specific licensing terms and conditions. The type of licence required depends on the 'Data Usage' you select and the set of non-Essential/Licensed data you wish to receive. You will indicate both during your registration via the Earth Observation Portal.
What are non-Essential or Licensed Data?
The data listed below are non-Essential EUMETSAT Data and therefore subject to licensing terms and conditions:
Meteosat High Rate SEVIRI data (15-min and 30-min)
Meteosat Low Rate SEVIRI data (30-min)
Meteosat RSS (Rapid Scanning Service) data (5-min)
- Global IASI Level 1 All Spectral Samples
- Global GOME Level 1
- Global ASCAT Level 1
- Global GRAS Level 1
Depending on the type of data (Meteosat or Metop) and on the latency of the Meteosat data (more than 3 hours or less than 3 hours), the licensing terms and conditions of the non-Essential/Licensed data vary. In any case redistribution to third parties of any original numerical non-Essential/Licensed data is prohibited. Visibility of EUMETSAT as origin of the data shall be ensured.
Which type of 'Data Usage' is relevant for me?
The Meteosat Data Policy provides a set of definitions of usage categories ('Data Usage'). During the registration process you are requested to select the 'Data Usage' most relevant to your intended use of the licensed data:
- Personal Use — Any use of an item from the Meteosat Catalogue solely for personal non-commercial purposes, without transmission or redistribution of these data, products and services to any further third party, or use of them to generate a Value Added Service.
- Educational Use — Any use of an item from the Meteosat Catalogue solely for educational non-commercial purposes, without transmission or redistribution of these data, products and services to any further third party, or use of them to generate a Value Added Service.
- Research Project — Any project organised for non-commercial research purposes only. A necessary condition for the recognition of non-commercial purposes is that all the results obtained are openly available at delivery costs only, without any delay linked to commercial objectives, and that the research itself is submitted for open publication.
- Broadcaster — Those users who disseminate an item from the Meteosat Catalogue or images based on Meteosat Data through electronic public information systems including, but not limited to, Internet, terrestrial and satellite transmissions.
- End User — Those users who use an item from the Meteosat Catalogue for their own commercial or industrial purposes and do not pass on such item to any further user or use it to generate a Value Added Service.
- Service Provider — Those users who acquire an item from the Meteosat Catalogue in order to supply Value Added Services under specific licence conditions to a third party clearly identified and known to the Service Provider.
- NMHS (National Meteorological and Hydrological Service) — SService responsible at national level, in conformity with its legal status, for the gathering, classification and production of meteorological information in the national interest, and responsible at international level for participating in WMO programmes.
- Official Duty Use — All activities which take place within the organisation of a NMHS and external activities of a NMHS resulting from legal, governmental or intergovernmental requirements relating to defence, civil aviation and the safety of life and property.
- Manufacturer — Those users who manufacture receiving equipment for EUMETSAT Data and/or software to process these data. The usage of the EUMETSAT data is limited to testing of the receiving equipment or processing software at the facility of the Licensee and demonstration thereof. Operational and commercial use of the data is prohibited.
What is the licensing process?
The licensing process forms part of the general registration process, please visit the Earth Observation Portal.
Based on the information provided during the registration process, the most appropriate licence type is determined. Depending on your Data Usage, you will be asked to acknowledge different licensing terms and conditions online and you may be requested to counter-sign a printed licence provided by EUMETSAT, or one of the Member State Licensing Agents.
My licence is about to expire. Can I renew it?
Typically a licence for the use of non-Essential data is valid for a period of up to three years. However, licences for the use of non-Essential Meteosat data with a latency of more than three hours and non-Essential Metop data and products, are valid for an indefinite period. All time-limited licences can be renewed subject to the re-acceptance of the relevant licensing terms and conditions. To renew your licence, please log in to the Earth Observation Portal and navigate to 'My Data Licences'. From here you can request a licence renewal.
Fees for 'Commercial Users and Other Users'
The EUMETSAT Data Policy contains the annual EUMETSAT fees applicable to 'Commercial Users and Other Users' for non-Essential Meteosat data with a latency of less than three hours. These fees may be reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council.
The applicable fees are as follows:
- All End Users using non-Essential Meteosat data with a latency of less than three hours shall be charged an annual flat fee of EUR 4,000.
- Service Providers and Broadcasters using non-Essential Meteosat Data with a latency of less than three hours shall be charged an annual flat fee of EUR 8,000.
If you would like to discuss potential licensing condition and/or licensing fees prior to registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your relevant licensing agent in your country of residence, as listed below. If you reside in a country which does not appear in the list, your licensing needs will be handled directly by EUMETSAT.
For technical questions or any other matters, please contact our User Service Helpdesk.
|Austria||Zentralanstaltfür Meteorologie und Geodynamik||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Belgium||Institut Royal Météorologique||Marc Christiaens||+32 23730515|
|Bulgaria||National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology||Christo Georgiev||+359 29753986/87 Ext.397|
|Croatia||Meteorological and Hydrological Service of Croatia||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Czech Republic||Czech Hydrometeorological Institute||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Denmark||Danish Meteorological Institute||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Estonia||Estonian Environment Agency||Valeria Siirand||+372 666 0923|
|Finland||Finnish Meteorological Institute||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|France||Météo-France||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Germany||Deutscher Wetterdienst||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Greece||Hellenic National Meteorological Service||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Hungary||Hungarian Meteorological Service||Zsófia Kocsis||+36 13464616|
|Iceland||Icelandic Met Office||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Ireland||Met. Éireann||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Italy||Centro Operativo per la Meteorologia||Guido Guidi||+39 0691293231|
|Latvia||Latvian Environmental, Geological and Meteorological Agency||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Lithuania||Lithuanian Hydrometeorological Service||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Luxembourg||Administration de la Navigation Aérienne||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Netherlands||Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Norway||Norwegian Meteorological Institute||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Poland||Institute of Meteorology and Water Management||Monika Pajek||+48 126398190|
|Portugal||Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera, I.P.||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Romania||National Meteorological Administration||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Slovakia||Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Slovenia||Environmental Agency of the Republic of Slovenia||Boštjan Muri||+386 1 4784114|
|Spain||Agencia Estatal de Meteorología||Francisco Pascual Perez||+34 915819642|
|Sweden||Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute||Delegated to EUMETSAT||+49 6151 807 7316|
|Switzerland||MeteoSwiss||Marco Gaia||+41 442569263|
|Turkey||Devlet Meteoroloji Isleri||Meral Leman Cukurcayir||+90 3123022621|
|UK||Met Office||Rebecca Wenham||+44 (0)7742400447|