GOES-17 ABI Mode 3 cooling timeline implementation - 2022
Photo credit: NOAA/Lockheed Martin
NOAA will continue the operational implementation of the GOES-17 Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) mode 3 cooling timeline in February 2022, affecting the ABI data distributed on EUMETCast.
15 November 2022
29 July 2022
This is to mitigate the number of saturated images resulting from the loop heat pipe (LHP) temperature regulation anomaly.
For more information, see: GOES-17 ABI Performance
This cooling timeline will occur seasonally in operations for four periods each year. Below is the next period for 2022:
- 14 October–15 November 2022
During these periods, every day between 06:00 and 12:00 UTC, GOES-17 operations mode will change from Mode 6 to Mode 3. This will affect the EUMETCast distribution of ABI data as follows:
- Full disc scans will be available every 15 minutes during the Mode 3 operations (instead of every 10 minutes for the Mode 6 operations).
- The change to Mode 3 also means that there will be a temporary filename change of GOES-17 ABI data:
- For Level 1B data, filenames will start with ‘OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M3C<channel number>_G17_’ instead of ‘OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M6<channel number>_G17_’
- For Level 2 products (All-Sky Radiance and Clear-Sky Radiance), ‘M6’ in the filenames will become ‘M3’:
All-Sky Radiance (ASR): ABI-L2-ASRF-M3_v2r1_g17_s202202260600359_e202202260611126_c202202260623060.bufr
Clear-Sky Radiance (CSR): ABI-L2-CSRF-M3_v2r1_g17_s202202260600359_e202202260611126_c202202260623050.bufr
GOES-17 L2 products (ASR/CSR) are expected to be missing throughout the cooling timeline periods.
Users wishing to receive the Mode 3 15-minute data should contact our User Service Helpdesk.
Latest data news
Availability of Sentinel-6 data in the Data Store
Sentinel-6 data are currently available mainly via EUMETCast and SFTP.
AC SAF NRT IASI NH3 product on EUMETCast soon
The NRT IASI NH3 product from AC SAF will be available on EUMETCast from 21 September 2023.
Sentinel-3 Altimetry product for Africa to be replaced
The current Sentinel-3 Altimetry product for Africa will be replaced by a new land hydrology thematic product.
EUMETCast Terrestrial reorganisation
A third instance of EUMETCast Terrestrial is being introduced on 11 September and some of the data will be moved into it.
EUMETSAT Data Access Client 2.1.0 now available
The latest EUMDAC release includes useful features driven by user feedback.