GOES-17 ABI Mode 3 cooling timeline implementation - 2022
Photo credit: NOAA/Lockheed Martin
NOAA will continue the operational implementation of the GOES-17 Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) mode 3 cooling timeline in February 2022, affecting the ABI data distributed on EUMETCast.
26 September 2022
29 July 2022
This is to mitigate the number of saturated images resulting from the loop heat pipe (LHP) temperature regulation anomaly.
For more information, see: GOES-17 ABI Performance
This cooling timeline will occur seasonally in operations for four periods each year. Below is the next period for 2022:
- 16 October–9 November 2022
During these periods, every day between 06:00 and 12:00 UTC, GOES-17 operations mode will change from Mode 6 to Mode 3. This will affect the EUMETCast distribution of ABI data as follows:
- Full disc scans will be available every 15 minutes during the Mode 3 operations (instead of every 10 minutes for the Mode 6 operations).
- The change to Mode 3 also means that there will be a temporary filename change of GOES-17 ABI data:
- For Level 1B data, filenames will start with ‘OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M3C<channel number>_G17_’ instead of ‘OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M6<channel number>_G17_’
- For Level 2 products (All-Sky Radiance and Clear-Sky Radiance), ‘M6’ in the filenames will become ‘M3’:
All-Sky Radiance (ASR): ABI-L2-ASRF-M3_v2r1_g17_s202202260600359_e202202260611126_c202202260623060.bufr
Clear-Sky Radiance (CSR): ABI-L2-CSRF-M3_v2r1_g17_s202202260600359_e202202260611126_c202202260623050.bufr
GOES-17 L2 products (ASR/CSR) are expected to be missing throughout the cooling timeline periods.
Users wishing to receive the Mode 3 15-minute data should contact our User Service Helpdesk.
Latest data news
Sentinel-3 reprocessed collections now in the Data Store
Copernicus Sentinel-3 reprocessed collections released in the EUMETSAT Data Store.
CM SAF ICDRs upgrade
Interim Climate Data Records (ICDRs) generated by the CM SAF will be updated to a new version in the coming months.
REMINDER: EUMETCast Europe service – transponder migration
The second transponder used for EUMETCast Europe High Volume Service will soon migrate from C10 to C3.
Termination of the CODA service
The Copernicus Online Data Access (CODA) service stops operating on 27 September 2022.