Hurricane Michael was strongest hurricane on record in the Florida Panhandle, when it hit the US in early October 2018.
24 December 2020
10 October 2018
By Sancha Lancaster (Pactum)
Michael was the 13th named storm, seventh hurricane, and second major hurricane of the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season. It originated from a broad low-pressure area in the western Caribbean Sea, becoming a tropical depression on 7 October.
It intensified into a hurricane on 8 October, near the western tip of Cuba. Strengthening continued in the Gulf of Mexico and on 9 October it became a Category 4 hurricane.
On 10 October Michael made landfall near Mexico Beach Florida with peak winds of 155 mph (250 km/h), becoming the region's first Category 4 hurricane and the third-most intense (in terms of central pressure) Atlantic hurricane to make landfall in the contiguous United States.
As it moved inland, the hurricane weakened and began to take a northeastward trajectory toward Chesapeake Bay, weakening to a tropical storm over Georgia and transitioning into an extratropical cyclone over the mid-Atlantic states on 12 October.
- At least 12 people were reported to have died in the Florida Panhandle area.
- In Mexico Beach, many homes were flattened or completely swept away by storm surges.
- Debris on Interstate 10 resulted in the roadway being closed between Lake Seminole and Tallahassee (approx. 130 km).
- More than 400,000 electrical customers in Georgia were left without power and at least 127 roads were blocked by fallen trees or debris.
- In Albany, 24,270 electrical customers lost power and several trees fell on homes and roads, blocking about 100 intersections.
- High winds left 200,651 people without power in the Cuban province of Pinar del Río.
Hurricane Florence was the first major hurricane of the 2018 North Atlantic hurricane season and caused major devastation when it hit the US east coast in mid-September.
Hurricane Isaac hits New Orleans
On the 7th anniversary of the day Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, Hurricane Isaac hits the city.
Dying hurricane Irene
On her second US landfall, over New York, (after the one over North Carolina) Irene lost much of its strength and has been downgraded to the tropical-storm category.
Category 5 hurricane Dean hits the Yucatan peninsula
Dean made landfall in the Yucatan on 21 August, and a second landfall near Tecolutla, Mexico, on 22 August.
Super Typhoon Surigae
Super Typhoon Surigae was the strongest ever early season typhoon in the North Pacific.
Geldingadalir eruptions affect cloud microphysics
Altered cloud microphysical structure above Geldingadalir eruptions, April 2021.
Major eruption of La Soufrière volcano
Major eruption of the Caribbean volcano La Soufrière in early April 2021.
Tropical cyclone Seroja undergoes Fujiwhara effect
TC Seroja consumed an unnamed tropical storm in April 2021.
Major dust outbreaks - Africa, Middle East & China
Meteosat-8 spots series of dust outbreaks in March 2021.