LI Mission Advisory Group (LI-MAG) Feb 2021
Held: 9 and 10 February 2021
04 March 2021
02 March 2021
The LI MAG meeting #11 was devoted to:
- Communicating to the LI MAG members the status of the MTG program and of the MTG LI system procurement.
- Discussing with the LI MAG members their potential contribution to the LI Cal/Val activities, including relevant external studies.
- Learning from external experts about the South African LLS and the early-life performance assessment activities of GLM.
- Communicating to the LI MAG members the current status and development plan of the LI-STAR Off-Line Tool and getting their feedback and suggestions on the development of the LI lightning detection performance assessment methodologies.
Objectives and outcomes
1. Provide the LI MAG experts with an overview of the MTG program status with focus on the LI
The objective was accomplished by having key people from ESA and EUMETSAT presenting the status of the MTG program, ground segment procurement, and LI instrument procurement.
2. Discussing with the LI MAG experts their potential contribution to the LI Cal/Val activities
The objective was accomplished by having a round of contributions from LI MAG members on the support for LI Cal/Val. Moreover, relevant external studies on comparing ground-based Lightning Location Systems and ISS-LIS and planning LMA campaigns in Africa were presented.
3. Learning about the South African LLS and the early life performance assessment activities of GLM
The objective was achieved by having GLM Cal/Val presentations from four US experts with a special focus on early-life performance assessment. In addition, there was a presentation from a South African Weather Service expert on the current status and future development of the South African Lightning Location System.
4. Communicating to the LI MAG members the current status and development plan of the LI-STAR Off-Line Tool and getting their feedback and suggestions on the development of the LI lightning detection performance assessment methodologies
The objective was achieved by having a detailed presentation on the current status and capabilities of the LI-STAR Offline tool. The presentation was followed by constructive feedback and discussion involving LI MAG members and external experts.
Programme and reports
|09:00||Opening Opening, logistics, and introduction of the participants||Bartolomeo Viticchiè and Jochen Grandell (EUMETSAT)|
|09:15||MTG programme status||Chris Hartley (EUMETSAT)|
|09:30||Status of the MTG Ground Segment Procurement||Steven James (EUMETSAT)|
|09:45||Status of the MTG LI Procurement and Characterization||Mark Wilson (ESA)|
|10:00||Status of the MTG LI System Commissioning Preparation||Bartolomeo Viticchiè (EUMETSAT)|
|10:15||MTG LI Test Data||Katja Hungershoefer (EUMETSAT)|
|10:45||Status of the study 'Planning of LMA campaigns in Africa in the context of the LI Cal/Val activities' & LMA for MTG LI Cal/Val||Eric Defer (UT3) & Joan Montanya (UPC)|
|11:10||Outcome of the study: 'Comparison of Ground-Based LLS Network Data to ISS-LIS in MTG LI Domain' & EUCLID for MTG LI Cal/Val||Wolfgang Schulz (OVE-ALDIS) & Dieter Poelman (RMIB)|
|11:30||Round of contributions from LI MAG members on the support for the LI Cal/Val (about 5-10 min each, 3-5 slides):
1. Graeme Marlton
2. Rafał Iwański
3. Joan Montanya
4. Philippe Lopez
5. Daniele Biron
6. Antti Mäkelä
|LI MAG forum|
|14:30||South African LLS||Morne Gijben (South African Weather Service)|
|15:00||GLM-16 and 17 early-life activities and overview on GOES-T Cal/Val plan||Scott Rudlosky (CICS-MD)|
|15:30||Evolution GLM LCFA algorithms||Douglas Mach (USRA)|
|16:00||Characterization of the GLM performances (focus on short-period assessment)||Kenneth Cummins (UAZ)|
|16:45||Round of contributions from LI MAG members on the support for the LI Cal/Val (about 5-10 min each, 3-5 slides):
7. Douglas Mach
8. Eric Bruning
Discussion and wrap up of Day 1
|Chaired by Bartolomeo Viticchiè (EUMETSAT)|
|15:00||LI-STAR tool DEMO||Sven-Erik Enno (EUMETSAT)|
|16:00||Discussion on the LI-STAR functionalities||Chaired by Bartolomeo Viticchiè (EUMETSAT)|
|16:45||Review of actions and recommendations||Chaired by Bartolomeo Viticchiè (EUMETSAT)|