MTG test data
Test data is available for the user community to help with preparations for receiving and processing the MTG data.
26 March 2021
21 May 2020
To ensure user readiness, it extremely important that users have access to data that will, in a best possible way, resemble the data that will be available from the future instruments.
Test data of that kind should have the best possible maturity in data content and in format specifications attached to different data. This is valid both for the pre-launch development period and during post-launch commissioning activities.
User test data can take different forms, for instance having more or less scientific values, formats and sizes. However, different test data can be associated with different user preparation processes, from tailoring of data acquisition systems to visualisation and utilisation of the satellite data in an operational environment.
Released test data packages and support data
Lightning Imager (LI)
On 27 May 2020 a simulated Level 2 dataset of the Lightning Imager (LI), which will fly on Meteosat Third Generation imaging satellites (MTG-I), became available for user familiarisation.
The dataset, intended for format familiarisation, consists of the following files in netCDF format:
- LGR files: containing the properties of the groups within a time window of 10 sec; in detail, group detection time, average group latitude and longitude, total radiance of the group, number of events per group, groups ID, and ID of the flash to which each group belongs, group quality indicator (confidence in the file). Three group products are produced by each simulation.
- LFL files: containing the properties of the flashes within a time window of 10 sec; in detail, flash start time, average flash latitude and longitude, total radiance of the flash, flash ID, number of groups per flash, number of events per flash, flash duration, flash footprint, flash quality indicator (confidence in the file). Three flash products are produced by each simulation.
- AF, AFA and AFR files: containing the accumulated information over 30 sec re-gridded on the FCI 2 km IR grid for Accumulated Flash, Accumulated Flash Area, and Accumulated Flash Radiance; in detail:
a) the AF product contains the accumulated events normalised by the total number of events in the flash itself computed for all the flashes,
b) the AFA product contains the accumulated footprint of all the flashes,
c) the AFR product contains the accumulated irradiance for all the flashes.
The MTG LI Level 2 dataset is delivered as a compressed tar file.
A checksum file (sha256sum.txt) is included.
A Package Description is provided via the above FTP server.
Infrared Sounder (IRS)
On 12 December 2019, a simulated Level 1B dataset of the Infrared Sounder (IRS) which will fly on Meteosat Third Generation sounding satellites (MTG-S) is now available for user familiarisation.
The dataset consists of a IRS dwell containing Level 1B spectra in native and Principle Component form, provided in netCDF format in line with the current IRS Level 0 and 1 Format Specification.
It is intended for format familiarisation and system testing.
Flexible Combined Imager (FCI)
Following the provision in 2019 of simulated MTG FCI Level 1C datasets, we are now releasing enhanced FCI Level 1C datasets, including datasets with non-nominal data. These new datasets are short duration (one full disk repeat cycle) but are much more scientifically representative of future operational data than the 24-hour datasets provided in 2019. Both are complementary.
Two FCI level 1C datasets are provided for format familiarisation:
- One nominal dataset which contains Full Disk High Spectral Imagery (FDHSI) data in nominal acquisition conditions.
- One non-nominal dataset which contains FDHSI data with simulated missing data
Each of these datasets are provided in compressed and uncompressed versions. The compressed versions represent the data that will be disseminated in near real-time during MTG operations, while the uncompressed form is how the data will be archived.
All above datasets contain:
- Full images of the Earth
- 16 channels
The datasets are divided into 40 body chunk files and one trailer chunk file (chunk ‘41’) each.
The package contains the following files:
FCI_1C_UNCOMPRESSED_NOMINAL.tar.gz — nominal dataset
FCI_1C_UNCOMPRESSED_NON-NOMINAL.tar.gz — non-nominal dataset with simulated missing data
FCI_1C_COMPRESSED_NOMINAL.tar.gz — same nominal dataset above but with CharLS compression applied to selected variables
FCI_1C_COMPRESSED_NON-NOMINAL.tar.gz — same non-nominal dataset above but with CharLS compression applied to selected variables
FCI_1C_REFGRIDS.tar.gz containing three netCDF files, one for each FCI resolution, with computed latitude and longitude variables for all Earth pixels inside an FCI full-disk:
sha256sum.txt file which contains the checksums for all files in the datasets
In addition, the following is provided on the FTP:
Product User Guide
Earlier releases of FCI user familiarisation test data
The June 2019 release of simulated Meteosat Third Generation (MTG) Flexible Combined Imager (FCI) Level 1C data covers a 24-h period and is based on SEVIRI proxy data. These test datasets are intended for format familiarisation and system testing purposes.
The term 'dataset' refers to a number of files or 'chunks' associated to a FCI repeat cycle (one complete 10-minute Earth disc scan = one repeat cycle). Each dataset comprises several body chunk netCDF-4 files that contain observational data, one trailer chunk netCDF-4 file, and one RGB composite quick-look png file.
These simulated datasets are based on MSG SEVIRI data. They are in the final format and are highly representative of an operational FCI Level 1C dataset. They are intended for format familiarisation and system testing purposes.
The datasets are provided in compressed and uncompressed versions:
- Compressed version: The radiance data are compressed with the CharLS algorithm, as they will be when disseminated to users in near-real time during MTG operations. The ‘Compressed’ directory contains a set of tarred and zipped sub-directories (each one contains all the product chunks for a repeat cycle). There are also two check sum files (one for each repeat cycle and one for all chunks).
- Uncompressed version: This is how the data will be archived. The ‘Uncompressed’ directory is set up in the same way as the ‘Compressed’ directory.
In addition, the following is provided on the FTP:
- A decompression software, together with an installation guide and a user guide.
- MTG EUMETCast simulator: The MTG EUMETCast simulator simulates the delivery of MTG products to a EUMETCast reception station. It uses 24 hours of MTG FDSS-FCI L1C test data and transfers the files to a specified target directory on EUMETCast reception station using ftp protocol, in the exact time of their delivery via EUMETCast.
Planned releases of test data
The following release are planned for Q2/2021:
- Updated FCI L1c 24-h test dataset for format familiarisation
- LI L2 3x30s test data with highly representative scientific content