New BUFR encoding for EUMETSAT’s wind products
A new BUFR encoding sequence for all EUMETSAT’s wind products will be introduced on 3 February 2021.
20 January 2021
14 January 2021
The new BUFR encoding sequence 03-10-077 is planned to be introduced 3 February 2021, for the Atmospheric Motion Vectors (AMVs) products from both the GEO and LEO services:
Metop AVHRR AMVs:
The WMO endorsed this sequence in November 2018, see the following has detailed information:
To facilitate user transition, AMV products encoded in the new BUFR sequence will be distributed on the GTS in parallel to the currently operational AMV products, as follows:
- Parallel dissemination of Meteosat-11 AMV BUFR products from 15 July to 2 November 2020.
- Parallel dissemination of Meteosat-8 AMV BUFR products from 2 to 16 November 2020.
- Resumption of parallel dissemination of Meteosat-11 AMV BUFR products from 16 November 2020 to 3 February 2021.
- Parallel dissemination of Metop AVHRR AMV BUFR products from 15 July to 3 February 2021.
The same GTS bulletin headers will be used for the parallel dissemination of Meteosat-8 and Meteosat-11 AMVs.
The operational switch to the new BUFR sequence will take place 3 February 2021 for both EUMETCast and GTS streams.
A change in the Quality Index (QI) coding sequence in the new AMV BUFR format was deployed on 17 September 2020.
The new sequence uses the following order:
- QI code 4 = Common QI, excluding the forecast consistency test, implemented according to an internationally agreed algorithm;
- QI code 5 = EUMETSAT nominal QI excluding the forecast consistency test;
- QI code 6 = EUMETSAT nominal QI including the forecast consistency test;
- QI code 2 = EUMETSAT QI excluding the forecast consistency test, based on the AMV pressure derived from the Optimal Cloud Analysis product.
For any questions, contact our User Service Helpdesk.
Release of simulated EPS-SG IASI-NG Level 1C test data
EPS-SG) simulated IASI-NG Level 1C test data available for user familiarisation, 24 Feb 2021.
Update to a sub-set of Meteosat 0° cloud products
‘Europe and North-Atlantic’ sub-set of Meteosat 0° cloud products generated updated on 10 March 2021.
Release of IASI climate data record of all sky temperature and humidity profiles
First release of IASI-A and -B climate data record of all sky temperature and humidity profiles available in Feb 2021.
Release of simulated EPS-SG Microwave Imager (MWI) and Ice Cloud Imager (ICI) test data
EPS-SG simulated MWI and ICI Level 1B and Level 2 test data available for user familiarisation on 28 January 2021.