New BUFR encoding for EUMETSAT’s wind products
A new BUFR encoding sequence for all EUMETSAT’s wind products will be introduced on 3 February 2021.
20 January 2021
14 January 2021
The new BUFR encoding sequence 03-10-077 is planned to be introduced 3 February 2021, for the Atmospheric Motion Vectors (AMVs) products from both the GEO and LEO services:
Metop AVHRR AMVs:
The WMO endorsed this sequence in November 2018, see the following has detailed information:
To facilitate user transition, AMV products encoded in the new BUFR sequence will be distributed on the GTS in parallel to the currently operational AMV products, as follows:
- Parallel dissemination of Meteosat-11 AMV BUFR products from 15 July to 2 November 2020.
- Parallel dissemination of Meteosat-8 AMV BUFR products from 2 to 16 November 2020.
- Resumption of parallel dissemination of Meteosat-11 AMV BUFR products from 16 November 2020 to 3 February 2021.
- Parallel dissemination of Metop AVHRR AMV BUFR products from 15 July to 3 February 2021.
The same GTS bulletin headers will be used for the parallel dissemination of Meteosat-8 and Meteosat-11 AMVs.
The operational switch to the new BUFR sequence will take place 3 February 2021 for both EUMETCast and GTS streams.
A change in the Quality Index (QI) coding sequence in the new AMV BUFR format was deployed on 17 September 2020.
The new sequence uses the following order:
- QI code 4 = Common QI, excluding the forecast consistency test, implemented according to an internationally agreed algorithm;
- QI code 5 = EUMETSAT nominal QI excluding the forecast consistency test;
- QI code 6 = EUMETSAT nominal QI including the forecast consistency test;
- QI code 2 = EUMETSAT QI excluding the forecast consistency test, based on the AMV pressure derived from the Optimal Cloud Analysis product.
For any questions, contact our User Service Helpdesk.
New IASI newsletter now available
The newsletter, available to download as a pdf, has been compiled by the IASI/IASI-NG Sounding Science Working Group (ISSWG), and includes:
Data Tailor Web Service v2.11 now available
The Data Tailor web service v2.11 available from 10 May 2021.
Upcoming release of GOME-2 Level 1 PPF V7
GOME-2 Level 1 PPF Version 7 to be released on 25 May 2021.
New snow products from H SAF on EUMETCast soon
Two new H SAF snow products on EUMETCast from 20 May 2021.