Ocean and Land Colour Instrument
The Copernicus Sentinel-3 Ocean and Land Colour Instrument (OLCI) provides improved global coverage of ocean colour.
18 November 2020
30 June 2020
OLCI observes in 21 narrow spectral bands of the visible and near infrared spectrum at a resolution of 300 m, with a swath width of 1270 km and five tilted cameras, which are specially optimised to reduce sun glint, the ocean and land colour instrument.
It expands the medium resolution ocean colour measurements collected by Envisat’s MERIS instrument (2002–2012).
- Swath width: 1 270 km.
- Push-broom imaging spectrometer with five cameras, mitigation of sun-glint contamination by tilting cameras in westerly direction.
- Spatial sampling: 300 m @ SSP.
- Spectrum: 21 bands [0.4-1.02] µm.
- Radiometric accuracy: 2% abs, 0.1% rel.
- Launch mass: 153 kg.
- Size: 1.3 m3.
- Design lifetime: 7.5 years.
For further information please see the Sentinel-3 OLCI handbook.