Ocean and Land Colour Instrument (OLCI)
The Copernicus Sentinel-3 Ocean and Land Colour Instrument (OLCI) provides improved global coverage of ocean colour.
21 June 2022
30 June 2020
OLCI observes in 21 narrow spectral bands of the visible and near infrared spectrum at a resolution of 300m, with a swath width of 1270km and five tilted cameras, which are specially optimised to reduce sunglint, the ocean and land colour instrument.
It expands the medium resolution ocean colour measurements collected by Envisat’s MERIS instrument (2002–2012).
- Swath width: 1270km.
- Push-broom imaging spectrometer with five cameras, mitigation of sunglint contamination by tilting cameras in westerly direction.
- Spatial sampling: 300m @ SSP.
- Spectrum: 21 bands [0.4–1.02]µm.
- Radiometric accuracy: 2% abs, 0.1% rel.
- Launch mass: 153kg.
- Size: 1.3m3.
- Design lifetime: 7.5 years.
For further information visit the ocean colour knowledge base.