Sentinel-3 NRT FRP Processing Baseline 1.2 released soon
The new Processing Baseline (PB) FRP_NR.001.02 of the Copernicus Sentinel-3 Near Real Time (NRT) Fire Radiative Power (FRP) product, derived from SLSTR, will be released on 6 May 2021, providing enhanced observation of small fires.
29 April 2021
29 April 2021
The PB 1.2 evolutions provide enhanced capability and increased confidence on the characterisation of small point sources, such as industrial gas flares, weakly radiative fires, and volcano activities.
The key changes introduced in FRP_NR.001.02 are:
- Various probabilistic confidence class indexes are now introduced for each fire pixel identified with the Standard FRP MWIR, including the Clear-Sky Split Window which is of high importance to avoid false alarms caused by cloud-edges in the vicinity (see example over Western Australia).
- A new method, named Alternative FRP MWIR, is added as an alternative technique for hot-spot detection and FRP computation from the MWIR spectral domain (3.7 µm) (Figure 1). It relies much more on the SLSTR F1 (3.7 um) detector thanks to its low geometric distortion and more stable pixel size across the full SLSTR swath. It combines key scientific ideas from (Xu et al., 2020, 2021), together with a special risk mask specified and implemented by EUMETSAT, to avoid the high risk of false alarms due to the special F1 radiometry behaviour (so-called 'over-shooting', black areas in example of Brightness Temperature product).
- The FRP SWIR (1 km) technique is improved, in terms of detection capability and FRP computation quality. It mainly benefits from
- a correction of the radiometric calibration that is applied to all the SLSTR L1B S5-S6 Top-Of-the-Atmosphere (TOA) radiances (i.e. 1.6 µm & 2.25 µm);
- a correction in the H2O transmission correction;
- an evolution of the South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) detection from a binary flag to a probabilistic (in %) Confidence Class.
- A new fine resolution FRP SWIR is introduced at 500 m (Figure 2). This is of high relevance for point sources such as gas flares.
- Angles (solar, viewing, zenith and azimuth) are now directly provided for each fire pixel identified with the Standard FRP MWIR, Alternative FRP MWIR and/or SWIR (1 km). Note: the ancillary file geometry_tn.nc file is no longer produced.
- Daily public visualisation on the EUMETSAT METIS website
- Copernicus S3 NRT FRP algorithm
- S3 NRT Atmospheric composition services with all documentation
A special quality routine monitoring visualisation interface is under preparation and will soon be made public.
A series of partial reprocessed datasets covering the periods of 2019-2021 can be made available upon request.
Note: The FRP product is currently mostly generated during night-time. Developments are ongoing for FRP data during daytime.
For more information, contact our User Service Helpdesk.
New snow products from H SAF on EUMETCast soon
Two new H SAF snow products on EUMETCast from 20 May 2021.
New Processing Baseline for SLSTR L1 released soon
A new Processing Baseline (PB), v2.75, for the Sentinel-3 SLSTR L1 products is planned to be released on 18 May 2021.
New version of IASI Level 2 PPF released soon
This new version 6.6 of the IASI L2 PPF includes a new product, SO2 altitude (O3M-379) from the AC SAF, which is released as ‘demonstrational’.
OLCI Level 2 Full Resolution NRT product on EUMETCast Europe soon
OLCI Level 2 Full Resolution NRT product on EUMETCast Europe from 6 May 2021.
Change to DCP messages disseminated on EUMETCast
DCP messages disseminated on EUMETCast change in November 2021.