The website(s) of the European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT) presents information about who we are and what we do.
Users with a wide variety of interests may find information about EUMETSAT’s activities in support of environmental monitoring, as well as about the organisation itself, its governance and legal framework. Users may also learn about upcoming training activities and conferences.
The various web services made available through our website(s) allow registered users to access EUMETSAT data and products for use in their activities.
Access to the EUMETSAT website(s) is provided from EUMETSAT’s headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany.
EUMETSAT will not be liable for any consequences, whether direct or indirect, arising from any use of the website(s). We make no express or implied representation or warranty as to the operation of the EUMETSAT website(s), and in particular:
- on the uninterrupted availability;
- on the accuracy or fitness for use or purpose of the information and materials that the EUMETSAT website(s) contains.
It would be appreciated if you could notify us of any inaccuracies or errors which you may find on the EUMETSAT website(s), by contacting our Helpdesk.
Third party links and websites
Reliance on links and references to third party websites or services, that are not controlled by EUMETSAT and made available only as a convenience, is at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for the content and make no warranty, either express or implied, as to the accuracy, availability or content of information made available through third party websites and services.
You may be requested to actively provide unique identifying information (‘personal data’) when:
- registering for EUMETSAT web services;
- subscribing to data or data services;
- accessing secured information;
- participating in surveys, events, conferences, training, competition etc.;
- completing the Contact Us form.
In accordance with EUMETSAT’s Personal Data Protection Policy, personal data will be processed and retained only for the purpose for which it was collected. Personal data will not be published, sold or made available for general access or to third parties, unless explicitly indicated otherwise. You may request to have your data corrected and updated, or if possible, deleted.
Note: personal data provided to enable access to EUMETSAT or third party satellite data and products will be shared with the National Meteorological Services of the EUMETSAT Member State in which the user is located and with the third party data providers from which the user has requested data access respectively.
EUMETSAT is committed to protecting your personal data against unauthorised use or disclosure. In instances where there has been a suspected breach of security or illegal activity, we reserve the right to share your personal data with the competent authorities for the purposes of investigation.
Should you have any concerns or questions regarding the protection of personal data at EUMETSAT please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cookies and Analytics
A cookie is a text file containing a small amount of data that is downloaded to the device with which you browse the EUMETSAT website(s). We use ‘session’ cookies to analyse patterns and trends in user activity, which in turn allow us to assess whether the EUMETSAT website(s) is meeting and adequately responding to user needs. We also use ‘persistent’ cookies to enable the EUMETSAT website(s) to recognise returning users. These will remain stored on your device until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
Information gathered through cookies will not be used for promotion and marketing purposes.
We use Google Analytics as our primary tracking tool to analyse the use of the EUMETSAT website(s). The information generated by Google Analytics is used for statistical and internal reporting purposes.
Google Analytics automatically collects information about your IP address. However, IP anonymisation has been activated, which means Google only has access to a shortened version of your IP address and will not associate this information with any other data it holds or collects. Neither we nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user.
You can prevent Google’s collection and use of your data by downloading and installing the applicable browser plug-in.
Ownership and Intellectual Property
Information, images, software, documents and materials (‘content’) accessible and visible on the EUMETSAT website(s) are protected by copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of EUMETSAT, or the party credited as the provider of the content.
Unless otherwise noted, you may download and copy content from the EUMETSAT website(s) for your own personal and non-commercial use. For any other use of the content, you must request authorisation from EUMETSAT.
When using content of the EUMETSAT website(s), you are required to credit it appropriately as EUMETSAT property or the property of the credited provider. For EUMETSAT property, the copyright credit should read “©EUMETSAT [year]”.
Unless otherwise noted, content available on EUMETSAT’s Learning Zone is available under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 IGO License (CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO). View a full copy of the licence here.
This license allows you to share (copy, distribute and transmit), and to remix (to adapt the content) without further explicit permission being necessary, under the following conditions:
You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license (active if online), and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests EUMETSAT endorses you or your use. Credit may not be hidden or disassociated from the content.
- Share Alike
If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
- No Additional Restrictions
You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
Note: Satellite data and products are not released under Creative Commons licence and remain subject to the rules of EUMETSAT’s Data Policy and/or applicable third party data policies. The Creative Commons licence also does not extend to the EUMETSAT logo, its constituent elements or other elements of EUMETSAT’s corporate visual identity.
The EUMETSAT logo and name are owned by EUMETSAT and protected by trademarks, as well as under Article 6ter of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property. You may not modify or create derivatives of the EUMETSAT logo. Any use (reproduction, publication, display) and exploitation of our logo or corporate visual identity requires prior written authorisation.
Satellite Data and Products
Satellite data and products available to registered users through the EUMETSAT web services are subject to the EUMETSAT Data Policy and/or third party data policies. You are expected to observe and comply with the terms and conditions set.
Forums and Blogs
The EUMETSAT website(s) may contain forums, blogs, or other services enabling posts and commenting (collectively ‘discussion forums’).
Without exception, the following principles apply to the discussion forums:
- Their use is limited to sending and receiving messages and materials that are strictly related to the particular discussion forum.
- They will be used for non-commercial use only. You must refrain from distributing, or otherwise publishing, any material containing solicitation for funding or advertising of goods and/or services without receiving prior written approval from EUMETSAT.
- Posts and contributions in violation of law and/or common decency will not be tolerated. You must not download, distribute, or otherwise publish, any material which is libellous, defamatory, pornographic, racist or abusive in nature.
- You remain solely responsible for your messages. Chats, postings and any other form of communication by users are not endorsed by EUMETSAT and shall not be considered as having been reviewed, screened or approved by EUMETSAT.
- You shall not delete any author attributions, legal notices, proprietary designations or labels from any file that is downloaded, nor falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is downloaded through a discussion forum.
EUMETSAT does not monitor and review every message posted by users on discussion forums. In cases where we become aware of messages that are abusive, defamatory, obscene or in violation of law, we may, at our sole discretion, delete, remove or edit the message.
Special Provisions: Test Data
Test Data are released exclusively for the purposes of facilitating user-preparedness for future missions.
They allow the users to familiarise themselves with the data and establish whether or not their receiving equipment and software support data and products anticipated to be generated by future ground segments once new satellite generations go into orbit.
The user of Test Data acknowledges that the following limitations apply:
- Test Data are provided ‘as is’, with EUMETSAT being unable to make any warranty or guarantee as to their properties, quality, or fitness for any specific purpose beyond facilitating user-preparedness.
- Test Data shall not be used for operational purposes, nor shall they be cited in scientific publications or disclosed through other publicly available channels and internet platforms.
- Test Data shall not be transferred, passed on or made available to any third parties without adequately indicating the nature and source of the data.
- EUMETSAT shall bear no liability for any consequences, whether direct or indirect, arising from any use of Test Data. This includes, but is not limited to, adaptations carried out to user equipment or software based on the qualities of Test Data. Equally, EUMETSAT cannot be held liable for the interface between such adaptations and the decryption equipment required to decrypt and use Test Data. Any and all adaptations, upgrades or configurations are done at the users own risk.
- Test Data will be made available only up until the respective satellite is declared operational. EUMETSAT shall not be liable if the provision of Test Data should deteriorate, be reduced or discontinued for any given reason prior to the respective satellites being declared operational.
- EUMETSAT reserves the right, without prejudice to any other rights and remedies, to prohibit the use of Test Data without notice in the event that the user fails to observe any of its obligations, specifically those listed under points 2 and 3.