The new IASI L2 PPF Version 6.5 is planned to be released on 4 December.
Thursday, 24 October 2019
The IASI L2 PPF v6.5 contains enhancements to the following algorithms:
- Upgrade to RTTOV 12 in the cloud retrieval and in the OEM retrieval of the thermodynamic state vector.
- Dynamic CO2 input to the clouds and OEM retrievals, to enable accounting for regional and seasonal/inter-annual variability.
- New variational cloud retrieval combined with a simplified cloud detection. This results in more accurate (more stringent) cloud mask and cloud fraction/height assignment.
- Introduction of generic software modules instantiable for IASI and future EUMETSAT hyperspectral missions.
- New CH4 retrieval, after Crevoisier et al. 2009 2013 [doi:10.5194/acp-13-4279-2013, 2013] (first enabled for IASI-B only).
The all-sky statistical retrieval (also called PWLR3) remains unchanged as compared to v6.4.
This v6.5 release also includes two new products from the EUMETSAT AC SAF, using the FORLI library developed at LATMOS and ULB:
- IASI O3 profiles + averaging kernels: the existing OZO BUFR product will be replaced by the new AC SAF product. Its format will change to follow the same structure as the operational Carbon Monoxide product, COx.
- IASI HNO3 (nitric acid) profiles + averaging kernels: the HNO3 will be disseminated in a new BUFR product, NAC, following the BUFR COx structure.
Note: these two new products currently have demonstration status. Initially, only a subsample of 250 IASI pixels per PDU (Product Dissemination Unit) will be disseminated. The dissemination of the full products is planned for the first half of 2020.
IASI SO2: Information about the nature of the inputs is currently missing in the quality flag. A correction is planned for the first quarter of 2020.
The two new AC SAF products will be distributed on EUMETCast Europe and EUMETCast Africa.
For products based on Metop-A:
Channel: E1H-EPS-11 (High Volume Service)
Multicast address: 18.104.22.168
For products based on Metop-B and –C:
Multicast address: 22.214.171.124
Multicast address: 126.96.36.199
The new OZO product from AC SAF will also be available on the GTS.
Sample files of the IASI L2 products based on the new V6.5, including the two new AC SAF products, are available on our FTP server:
For more information, contact our User Service Helpdesk.