About C-band High and Extreme-force Speeds (CHEFS).
CHEFS aims to advance the understanding of C-band scatterometer retrievals in high and extreme winds cases. In particular, this study aims to assess the additional information in C-band cross-polarisation data from Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) to prepare for the high wind retrievals from the future EPS-SG scatterometer missions.
The CHEFS study expects to contribute to:
- the understanding of the C-band cross-polarisation information contribution to high and extreme wind retrievals from future C-band scatterometer missions;
- the definition of spatial scaling issues and related consequences for product sample resolutions and validation approaches;
- the further understanding of satellite remote sensing of high and extreme wind conditions over the ocean.
The aim of this study is to provide reliable extreme ocean surface vector wind (OSVW) information in open ocean and marine coastal regions from C-band scatterometers, where generally limited in situ measurement capability exists.
The main objectives of the project are:
- VH Geophysical Model Function (GMF) at extremes: The understanding of the future C-band VH information contribution to high and extreme wind retrievals from C-band scatterometer missions.
- Spatial scaling of extremes: The definition of spatial scaling issues and related consequences for product sample resolutions and validation approaches.
- Understanding of extremes: To further understanding of satellite remote sensing of high and extreme wind conditions over the ocean. Besides exploiting data from the hurricane hunters and RadarSat, the study will look at cross-polarized Sentinel-1 backscatter and wind data at various high wind cases (see Figure 1, top right, click to expand) with the perspective to directly map the findings on the EPS ASCAT mission and on the future expectations of the EPS-SG SCA mission.
|WP2||State of the art and user requirements|
|WP3||High and extreme wind cases selection|
|WP4||Sentinel-1 extreme wind cross-polarisation data assessment|
|WP5||Generation of SCA test data and validation|
|Phase||Date and location|
|PM2||25/04/2018, at IOVWST meeting|
Presentation from Stoffelen et al., C-band High and Extreme-Force Speeds (CHEFS), Stoffelen et al.; presentation at the International Ocean Vector Winds Science Team Meeting Barcelona, Spain, 24-26 April 2018.