EPS-SG Overall Ground Segment Overview.
The EPS-SG Overall Ground Segment (OGS) will support the ground functions required to meet the EPS-SG Missions objectives.
The main functions of the OGS will be:
- Acquiring, processing and disseminating EPS-SG global and regional data to the end users as part of the EPS-SG Global and Regional missions.
- Monitoring, controlling and operating the Metop-SG Satellites in-orbit.
- Archiving EPS-SG global data and providing off-line retrieval from archive and user support services.
- Perform Calibration and Validation of the products, routinely monitoring the Metop-SG instruments health status and products quality.
Figure 1: Overview of the EPS-SG Overall Ground Segment (OGS)
The OGS will consist of three main blocks:
- Mission Control and Operations (MCO)
The MCO block will ensure the end-to-end monitoring and control of the Metop-SG spacecraft including Tracking, Telemetry and Control (TT&C) station.
- Payload Data Acquisition and Processing (PDAP)
The PDAP block will ensure the end-to-end chain from data acquisition to the generation of level 1 and level 2 products.
- EUMETSAT Multi Mission Elements (MMEs)
The Multi Mission Elements (MMEs) are EUMETSAT operational facilities and common infrastructure used by existing programmes. They are split in four groups: infrastructure, data centre, monitoring and dissemination. They will be used by EPS-SG after extension and upgrade.
The blocks described above will be complemented by a set of re-used EUMETSAT elements adapted to EPS-SG, services procured separately, and elements provided by partners such as NOAA and CNES.