Release of Collection 2 of S3 NRT Fire Radiative Power
Collection 2 of the Optimised Copernicus Sentinel-3 (CS3) NRT Level 2 (L2) fires product will be released on 9 December 2021, introducing daytime coverage in NRT Copernicus fires observation.
25 November 2021
25 November 2021
This product is generated by the 'Optimised Fire Radiative Power-Copernicus Sentinel-3' (OFRaP-CS3) processor upgraded to version 3.0.
OFRaP-CS3 provides Sentinel-3 fire observations intended to be assimilated in the future by the Global Fires Assimilation System (GFAS), together with the NASA MODIS (currently assimilated), VIIRS and other geostationary fires missions (future). It will help to support fire and aerosol pollution monitoring by the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS).
Collection 2 evolutions include:
- The first version of daytime detection and FRP quantification over land surfaces from the 3.7 µm MWIR measurement, obtained by the creation of the virtual F3 fire channel.
- Prevention of night-time false alarms caused by the F1 detector over-shooting through the so-called absolute detection test (both in Standard and Alternative FRP MWIR).
Note: Users are reminded to pay attention to the diversity of the scientific maturity and quality labels associated with the various fire types in the product. In particular the night-time (‘Preliminary Operational’) hotspots have a higher quality than those produced today during the day (‘Demonstrational’). Further detailed explanations are given in the Product Notice (PN), and users should consider them before using the product.
More information related to the Collection 2 can be found in:
- OFRaP-CS3 Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document (ATBD), with co-contributions from Prof. Dr Martin Wooster & Dr Weidong Xu (King’s College London) (Coming soon)
- OFRaP-CS3 Product Validation Report (PVR) (Coming soon).
- Product Notice
- Product Format Specification Document
Feedback is welcomed and will be used in preparation of the future upgraded processing baselines. To provide feedback and for more information, contact our User Service Helpdesk.
Latest data news
Sentinel-3 reprocessed collections now in the Data Store
Copernicus Sentinel-3 reprocessed collections released in the EUMETSAT Data Store.
CM SAF ICDRs upgrade
Interim Climate Data Records (ICDRs) generated by the CM SAF will be updated to a new version in the coming months.
REMINDER: EUMETCast Europe service – transponder migration
The second transponder used for EUMETCast Europe High Volume Service will soon migrate from C10 to C3.
Termination of the CODA service
The Copernicus Online Data Access (CODA) service stops operating on 27 September 2022.