Copernicus CO2 Monitoring Mission (CO2M) Science Support
Image credit: OHB System
In this section you'll find all our science studies initiated by EUMETSAT in support of CO2M ground segment development activities.
24 June 2021
11 June 2021
The CO2 Monitoring (CO2M) mission is the space component of the European integrated monitoring and verification support capacity (MVS) dedicated to the monitoring of anthropogenic CO2 emissions. This CO2-MVS is part of the next Copernicus programme component by the European Commission and will be implemented jointly by ESA, EUMETSAT and ECMWF. This European anthropogenic CO2 MVS has the following objectives:
- The operational provision of atmospheric CO2 measurements obtained from dedicated space-borne sensors, complemented by in-situ networks and ancillary observations.
- The operational provision of bottom-up anthropogenic CO2 emission maps and anthropogenic emission maps, with high spatial and temporal resolution, and short time updates.
- The operation of a data-assimilation system, which will integrate atmospheric measurements with bottom-up information into consistent and accurate estimates of anthropogenic CO2 emissions and their trends.
- The provision of a decision support tool.
EUMETSAT develops a significant part of the CO2M Ground Segment to undertake the day-to-day operations of (CO2M), as well as the processing CO2M products, as part of the Copernicus Third Party Program. ESA is developing the space-segment and parts of the overall CO2M ground segment. The CO2M PDPS and its operational products provided by EUMETSAT and its partners, will contribute to the first objective of the integrated observation system.
The CO2M mission will deliver atmospheric CO2 measurements as well as CH4 and NO2 measurements derived from space-based observations.
Geophysical products (L2)
- Dry-air column weighted total column CO2: XCO2
- Dry-air column weighted total column CH4: XCH4
- NO2 tropospheric column
- Aerosol and cloud information
- Solar Induced Fluorescence (SIF) of vegetation
Optical measurement products (L1)
- Top of the atmosphere (TOA) spectral radiance and reflectance at high spectral resolution suitable for the XCO2, XCH4, NO2 and SIF retrievals.
- Multi-viewing and polarised radiance information for aerosol and cloud retrievals.
- Cloud imager radiance information for could detection.
In support of the CO2M related development activities EUMETSAT Remote Sensing and Products division has conducted or is currently conducting the following scientific support studies.